Corinthians rejects striker after reaction to assault case

SAO PAULO — Brazilian team Corinthians has decided against signing a 19-year-old striker accused of assaulting a former girlfriend after supporters complained.

The Sao Paulo-based club said in a statement that Sport Recife's Juninho would not be arriving "because of numerous protests by female and male fans."

Juninho was in Sao Paulo to conclude the deal when the club issued the statement. He is accused of assaulting and threatening a former girlfriend last year, but denies the claims.

Corinthians said it was giving up on the deal because "the feminist cause overtakes any other considerations."

Related News

Young US archer Zach Garrett hits target on and off field

Aug 10, 2016

There's another showdown looming between well-known Americans in the men's archery tournament

Prince Fielder emotional as he ends career after surgeries

Aug 11, 2016

Prince Fielder says it will be tough not be able to play again after having to walk away from the game because of health issues after two cervical fusions in his neck

Top of the charts: Anthony now top scorer in US history

Aug 11, 2016

Carmelo Anthony scored 31 points and became the leading scorer in U.S. Olympic history in Wednesday night's tough win over Australia

Sukan360 is a proud Malaysian Sports website enthusiastic in our local players and bring Malaysian sports news first and foremost.

Contact us: sales@sukan360.com

Soccer Racing Shootings Golf Sports Governance Men's Sports Women's Sports Press Releases