7 'corrupted' African soccer referees banned, 14 suspended

FILE - In this file photo dated Saturday, Jan. 26 2013, Referee Hamada Nampiandraza, from Madagascar, gestures during the African Cup of Nations group D match between Togo and Algeria at the Royal Bafokeng stadium in Rustenburg, South Africa. Nampiandraza is among 14 match officials who were provisionally suspended following a meeting of Confederation of African Football (CAF) disciplinary board this weekend Sunday Aug. 5, 2018, pending further investigations of alleged corruption among the continent’s match officials. (AP Photo/Armando Franca, FILE)

Seven Ghanaian soccer referees and one other official have been banned for between 10 years and life by the Confederation of African Football for corruption

Seven Ghanaian soccer referees and assistant referees and one other official have been banned for 10 years to life for corruption, the Confederation of African Football said Tuesday.

Another 14 referees and assistants from various countries were provisionally suspended following a meeting of CAF's disciplinary board this weekend.

The cases mean 18 African referees and assistants have now been banned in the last month, with a picture emerging of widespread corruption among the continent's match officials.

CAF announced bans for 11 other match officials last month, including an assistant referee from Kenya who was supposed to officiate at the World Cup in Russia.

That official, Aden Range Marwa, was banned for life by CAF after he was filmed taking a $600 payment in a Ghanaian journalist's documentary. He is also being investigated by FIFA.

In the latest disciplinary cases at CAF, assistant referee David Laryea was banned for life while the other six Ghanaian referees and assistant referees were banned for 10 years. They included a female assistant referee.

Laryea has officiated in World Cup qualifying, international friendlies, and was an assistant referee at the African Cup of Nations in South Africa in 2013.

Wellington Joseph, described by CAF as a technical instructor, was the other official banned for 10 years.

The African confederation said their decisions stemmed from media investigations into corruption in African soccer. CAF did not give any details of the cases and announced only the sanctions.

The 14 match officials provisionally suspended pending further investigations are from Benin, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Senegal, Congo, Madagascar, Ghana and Liberia. They include Hamada Nampiandraza, who was a referee at the 2013 African Cup of Nations.

They were all ordered to appear in front of CAF's disciplinary board at its next meeting.

In May, a documentary by a renowned Ghanaian investigative journalist said corruption in soccer in Ghana and other African countries was rampant, with dozens of referees, coaches and officials implicated in taking bribes. The documentary shows a sport still operating in a murky world of bribery and secret meetings three years after the FIFA corruption scandal brought down world soccer's biggest figures.

The top name implicated in the African sting was Ghana Football Association president Kwesi Nyantakyi, who was a member of the FIFA Council and a vice president of CAF at the time.

Nyantakyi was shown accepting $65,000 in bundles of cash from undercover journalists and stuffing it into a black plastic bag. The cash was referred to as "shopping money" for Nyantakyi, who was supposed to use his influence to help secure political access and favorable deals for the journalists posing as businessmen.

Nyantakyi resigned from his roles and has been provisionally suspended by FIFA for 90 days while its ethics committee investigates the allegations against him.

Ghanaian soccer is in crisis as a result, with the allegations of corruption leading to the government disbanding the football association.

Related News

Young US archer Zach Garrett hits target on and off field

Aug 10, 2016

There's another showdown looming between well-known Americans in the men's archery tournament

Prince Fielder emotional as he ends career after surgeries

Aug 11, 2016

Prince Fielder says it will be tough not be able to play again after having to walk away from the game because of health issues after two cervical fusions in his neck

Top of the charts: Anthony now top scorer in US history

Aug 11, 2016

Carmelo Anthony scored 31 points and became the leading scorer in U.S. Olympic history in Wednesday night's tough win over Australia

Sukan360 is a proud Malaysian Sports website enthusiastic in our local players and bring Malaysian sports news first and foremost.

Contact us: sales@sukan360.com

Soccer Racing Shootings Golf Sports Governance Men's Sports Women's Sports Press Releases